Menshikov Palace

Menshikov Palace

Address: University Emb. 15
Nearest metro station: Vasileostrovskaya

Open: 10.30 am – 4.30 pm

Closed: Mondays

 

The Menshikov Palace dates back to the beginning of the 18th century and is a great example of a private house of one of the closest friends of Peter the Great where luxurious banquets and receptions were held those days. 

This is the first palace in St. Petersburg constructed in the 1710-1720s to the design of G.M. Fontana and J.G. Schaedel; Peter the Great’s close associate, the first governor-general of St Petersburg Alexander Menshikov, owned it.

In 1727 in a struggle for power, Menshikov lost and was sent to Siberia. Since then the palace was home to a military school, but in 1967 it was given to the State Hermitage museum. Now, with the early 18th century interiors restored, it houses a collection of Russian cultural artefacts from the early 18th century.

 

 



go4travel.net
One Moment...